A morning routine can change your life. I mean, you probably already have one whether you feel like you consciously choose those steps or not. I used to wake up just in time to get everything done before I had to rush out the house. It set the tone for the rest of my day.
In slowing down to be more present and conscious in life (and reduce anxious moments), I realized that our morning routine sets the mood and atmosphere for the rest of the day. When I started by rushing, my whole day was a to-do list to hurry up and get done so I could repeat it – again and again.
Today I take a little time waking up and setting the tone.
It didn’t start overnight though.
It started with one minute. If I could stop for one minute to start the day off right, what could it do. I could commit to one minute. What happened is I started making room for that minute to expand and now I have a full morning routine.
You can commit to one minute.
The rules: You have to be present and conscious to what you do in that one minute. No ‘getting through it’ or ‘just forcing the motion’. You have to reallybe present and grateful for that one minute and then use it to do something great for your spirit.
It could be just being grateful for all the factors that went into your morning cup of coffee (like Lynn Trotta talked about in her podcast with us here) or it could be just being still and connecting to your body in a positive way.
Just start with a minute.
If you need some ideas, here are some of the things that I do in the morning to care for me physically, emotionally and spiritually.
- Take deep breaths before you even leave the bed and name things you are grateful for this morning.
- Drink some water and be grateful for all the work and resources it took to bring it right to you.
- Stretch for a minute and let your body know you care about it.
- Write one minute worth of stuff that’s bogging up our clarity. What are you stressed about or unpacking first thing in the morning? Get rid of it by writing it down and getting it out of your head.
- Tell yourself some affirmations in the mirror for one minute. Positive things or things you are manifesting. Get your brain on the right train first thing in the morning.
- Have a good breakfast – sitting down! The first meal of the day shouldn’t be rushed. Take your time and be grateful for your abundance.
What is your morning routine?
If you don’t have one, I hope you develop one – even if it’s just one minute at a time. You’ll be surprised how much you can expand that moment over time into a full ritual that sets you on the vibration you want to take in and give off.
You are that important… and it will impact everyone around you. Just try and see.
Want to try a little more self-love?
There are some daily prompts you can try for your morning routine in the Self-Love journey. Learn about the archetypes and try some exercises to learn more about you and your gifts.