How do you give your power away?
We all give it to something sometimes. This past Sunday we discussed many different ways we give up power. From saying ‘can’t’ to focusing on blame rather than power, we have all offered our power away to shirk responsibility or hide from the shame of making a mistake.
Since that show, I’ve been thinking about how I give my power away. How can I move faster toward what I want instead of spending time on things that don’t bring me the growth both personally and professionally? Which brings me to:
My friend, my foe: NETFLIX.
For an introvert like me, Netflix is like the best thing including sliced bread. I don’t have to leave to even go to a Blockbuster now and I can get entire runs of shows that I would have had to sit through years to watch one weekly. Recently both Orange is the New Black and Grey’s Anatomy seasons released and I’ve been watching way too much TV for my own good.
“But what’s the harm?”, you may be asking (as is my inner child).
I’m not here to preach or try to convince you if you are a Netflix-addict (there are worse things), but here’s what I noticed with me:
- I am less active. I get lazier as I lay in front of the TV and somehow, even doing nothing, sucks the energy right out of my body.
- I don’t connect with friends and family as much. I get emotionally involved with people that don’t even exist. It’s true. I absolutely hate the last episode of any show’s run because I need to know what happened to the people. Instead of connecting with people that actually exist, I avoid it because I have this drama and these characters to entertain me.
- I don’t read as much. There are skills I want to learn both personally and professionally and when I have the easy, low-thinking task of watching TV versus using my brain to piece words together and comprehend, I can easily go to the zone out route. Books pile up and I’m not really growing. Reading to me is as essential as sunshine.
- I can forget to tune into myself and ground myself in lieu of staring like a zombie at the tv for hours on end.
- I don’t leave the house as much to connect with nature and it’s summer after all!
Summer TV Blackout Detox
(21 days to clear your TV cache)
I’m offering myself a 21 day reprieve of Netflix or cable. No movies and no TV for 21 days and if you’re interested in joining myself and friends, let’s do it together! Join the Inviting Shift group on Facebook. We’ll be giving updates on what we’re doing each day rather than tuning into the zombie box.
I’ll be offering a list of things to do if you’re bored and will be there to answer your questions or cheer you on!
When: Starting July 3 – July 24
What: Enjoy Summer TV Blackout – NO TV for 21 days!
Join the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/invitingshift/
(No sign-ups or emails required. We’ll do it all right on the group page!)
Just another way I’m staying sharp and celebrating 40!
Come on, join us! You know it’ll feel so good to detox of the news, shows and marketing on TV. Join the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/invitingshift/